Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Week 4 - big praise for Twitter.. small tweet for RSS feeds

After setting up a google reader account and tracking a number of news stories... I just know that I'm unlikely to use this in the long term. However, if i ever get into a media roll where I need news 24/7 I could see how the customisation of this information would be useful.

NetVibes looks like an exciting development, I'm keen to spend a bit of time on this site, setting up my own homepage with all my favourites. I would find this much easier when away from my own computer and need to log in to say a personalised URL that I can never remember.

Twitt Twitt Twitter... I've had a twitter account now for about a year and a half twitter.com/RobThomasAKcity to date have:
  • 112 tweets
  • 7 listed
  • 239 followers
  • 590 following
I use my twitter account as an intermediate between social networks. So, when I update my facebook status, it updates my twitter status which in turn updates the live feed on my website www.robthomas.co.nz.

Twitter is great for a number of reasons:
  • Connecting with people - unlike facebook twitter is more anonymous so people are more likely to connect with you, if they don't know you.
  • Simple messages - while in facebook you can write your life story, twitter keeps it restricted to key messages, makes it easier to read/understand.
  • Search Function - if you're wanting to find public opinion on a topic you can search all twitter entires, like what people think of the Black Caps win etc.
  • Listing others - it's really great that you can list other people (post others comments onto your tweet)

No comments:

Post a Comment